Monday, March 12, 2007

Myriads of Meloncholy

Myriads of Melancholy


Depression seems to be an integral part of life. Movies they say reflect upon the society that makes them. Look at the most critically acclaimed movies that are nominated for the Oscars for example.. if there aint some depressing moments they will not be nominated for the Oscars let alone have a chance at winning. It is the same of all awards. Why am talking about all this? Well it relates to two facts- one I am feeling depressed at the moment and the movies that I have been seeing recently- highly critically acclaimed movies don’t help the cause at all. Depression to me somehow inter-tangles with the want for some sort of a release from our cares and one of the easy ways out seems to point to drug addiction.

Two movies that have gotten me thinking on the throes of drug addiction -Trainspottingg and Requiem for a dream. Both movies are highly influencing in the way they have been made. I was talking to a friend of mine( Su) about “requiem” and he said to enjoy the movie for what it is u either need to be an addict or known someone close to u who was lost to addiction. Somehow I couldn’t agree with him at all. To me the best movies that I have watched are those that make me feel one with the main protagonist even though I might not be in the same situation. And I could do that with this movie.

The movie talks about the life of four ppl and outlines their degradation to drugs through a connection to seasons- summer fall.. and so on. I kept watching the movie waiting for “spring” and to feel happy tht there is hope. But it was not to be so. The film ended with the cold winter and no hope. I guess that’s what happens in life. Trainspotting is kind of a similar story of a group of frnds who fall to drug addiction but then the basis of the story is not the drug addiction. The ending was nice happy secure for me.. I dot know what other people feel but to me I need this .. why would I want “movie” to end the same way that I see so many depressing stories end in real life!.. a movie is what I see to escape from real life.. the thing tht keeps kicking you in the ass..no matter how springy u get urself to feel.

The want for the season of spring is what keeps me going keeps me motivated and if that is taken away from me I don’t see what else would keep me going……..

3 comments:

Mambalam Mani said...

Expecting a movie to end with happy notes is another delusion per se. People resort to drugs to forget the reality and enter a state of bliss, which they sorely lack in real life. Similarly, expecting movies to always end on a happy note will result in a complete loss of perception of truth and an overdose of which will make you imagine real life to always have an ending like the movies. Everytime that doesnt happen, the dissapointment and hence the depression grows, until the individual's spirit implodes. So its always better to have movies that show both sides of the coin.

By the way, have you seen Little Miss sunshine? This movie, I believe puts these things in perspective.

Filarial said...

i have seen little miss sunshine.. its a realistic movie but the ending is happy and secure enuf.. its not a depressing ending and thts y i lkd the movie!

slomoninja said...

am with you on this - atleast as far as happy endings go. I try to avoid sad in-betweens too, most of the time :D