Sunday, June 3, 2007

Theoretically I knew who the killer was.....

It had been two months since Professor Mansen had been murdered. I had been hired by the dean to solve the case quickly and quietly. The dean knew people would open up to me more so than the police. Other than my obvious charm the fact was I knew of everyone who was part of the murder investigation.

I had solved the case days ago but had been collecting enough information to back my theory. So the night I finally revealed the mystery behind the killer’s identity, which by chance happened to be 06.06.2006, I invited all the suspects to dinner at the deans house. The guest list included- Professor Mansons wife Svetlana, Professor Mansons mistress – Jennette, two graduate students working under him Xing and Chandramouli and the janitor Odumbe. I also requested the presence of the police chief – Ohara.

The environment was set. Dinner started with soup and crumpets. The deans wife was a great hostess taking good care to lighten the environment which felt like an icy edge.
We got through dessert a good 45 minutes later. I got up with a glass of wine in my hand and said, “This is not a toast and each of you in this room wernt invited to pass on condolences. We have a killer in this room and in 25 minutes all of us will know his identity”, I could see sweat percolating down brows of 5 faces, I was starting to enjoy myself.

I continued, “ Each of you had a motive didn’t you..” that wasn’t a question..” Xing, Professor Manson stole all of your work on nano particle paint fabrication under the threat of deportation did he not..” again not a question.. “ all of three years of real path breaking research down the drain .. tell me Xing was that not motive enough?” you could call this a question but the I knew he was not the killer. Xing responded ” I not …kill nobody..”. Self.” I know that Xing but it till is a strong motive a strong enough motive for you yourself to become a blackmailer. You had been blackmailing Chandramouli haven’t you..” definitely not a question. Xing remained quiet. “ Which brings me to you Chandramouli..Xing was blackmailing you about your affair with Svetlana hasn’t he..” a gasp escaped from the 40 year old blondes lips and all that Chandramouli did was stutter.
“ but what Xing and chandroamouli did not know is that it was Professor Manson who introduced the duo.. it was his master plan of getting rid of his wife..” I looked around as my audience is rapt in attention..” But then to me Chandramouli is to much of a sissy to be a killer cant even last 2 minutes can he Svetlana..” I could see her blush..” that brings me to you Jennette ,, sweet innocent Jennete .. How did the Professor win you over ? was it with his poetic skills?.. was this the verse that won you over in the bar 4 months ago

O Jennette
Sweet Jennette

A female divinity
My passions exceed
Pie r^2 [infinity]" [read as to the times infinity]

Jennette gasped” how did you come across that..” Chandramouli could not resist saying,” but that is meaningless how could anyone fall for the .. anybody can tell that unless ‘r’ is defined its stupid..” I smiled..” well we need to give some kind of poetic licence I assume.. but then Jennette you did not know of Professor Mansons necrophilic gay activities till he invited you a couple of weeks before his death to a session did you..” I paused here and looked at Odumbe the 60 year old Odumbe.. I wanted to note the expression on his face for I knew Jennette wasn’t the killer.. I could hear Jennette sniffling.. I had been harsh but then I had no other choice..” which brings me to reveal the identity of the killer Mr.Odumbe.. “ everybody turned surprised to the janitor not talked of through the night wondering why the hell he was here.. all but Jannette who continued sniffling. I continued “ Mr. Odumbe planned this out meticulously.. he knew that Professor Manson was training to run for the marathon. For this during each of his long runs on a Saturday the Professor would leave his keys in his mailbox except for the department main door keys which he would stuff into his secret pocket of his running shorts. Odumbe had been watching him for an opputunity over 12 weeks prior to his successful attempt at murdering the Professor. He then took the professors keys and accesed his nano particle lab and added a pure layer of arsenic to the bottom of the professors coffee mug.. Odumbe tried to remain calm,” what motive did I hav “ dick” I mean “Private Detective” ..” I smiled an evil smile” simple my dear Watson” I hammed ..” I know that you were his gay partner for several years were you not and you were that guy whom..” I looked at Jannette’s face., her beautiful face, she was sobbing now..” you also aided him in his disgusting pedophilic activities by inviting innocent young African immigrants .. did you not !!” I shouted my eyes red.. Odumbe broke down crying like a baby ..” you just coudnt stand the fact that he was drifting away from you to Jannette could you”.. the police chief stunned at first called in the constable to take odumbe into custody.. everybody was still in shock.. I comforted Jennete.. I told her that I still had feelings for her and apoligised for putting her through this trauma.. she smiled at me for the first time that night.

As I sat beside Odumbe during the ride to the police station.. he looked at me and whispered..” I did not kill him you know” .. I looked at him and smiled..” I know you sick fuck .. because I did…………” Jennete was just too important to me…………

10 comments:

Sriram said...

awesome .. enjoyed it .

Mambalam Mani said...

tut, tut, tut...
utter perversion..

Anonymous said...

well written but i second santhosh

Viswajith said...

well...nice one but i do have to agree with santosh and guru...

Filarial said...

oh come on guys ths is not perversion ths is life u know I am capable of much more..:D

Karthik Balasubramanian said...

good.. but i shud say ur thoughts are a little twisted.. which is exactly the kind of material ppl wanna read.

Anonymous said...

Nice story, except each of those situations could have been differently right ;-) Wonder who's the 'sick f%&*'! lol!

K said...

somehow sensed the killer at the second sentence! :D

heard and seen "love" triangles and even quadrangles... this has to be one coiled up mess! LOL!

nice short read tho!

Souvik Gupta said...

it could have been placed in much more details, too complicated for such a short story...

but, a nice story nevertheless, tho i cud guess in the 2nd sentence..

souvik gupta

Macadamia The Nut said...

I loved it! Like a grown up Agatha Christie.