Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Zombie song

So I met a Zombie
in the middle of the night
Driving down highway 54
Which adds up to nine

He had just one thumb
Which was just right
For he was waving asking
For a lift to get
On his way to wherever

I was a bit drunk
So I stopped to pick him up
He got into the car
And gave me a smile
Or so I thought cause
There were no teeth

He said thanks for stopping
No one does that anymore
And so it had taken him a year of walking
And yet he was far from the place he
Wanted to go

Nobody understood him he said
Everybody was afraid of him
Some who saw him
Said he was just a figment of their imagination
And looked away

And others were not so kind
And waved a cross at him
As if he would disappear
And close their eyes in fear
But not one liked him

He was a bit gloomy for
He was the only one of his kind left
Not willing to move on
Stuck in a reality that was not his
And yet he was the one who was scared

Scared of compromise or something
Scared of a lot of things
Scared of moving on and finding
His own kind that he missed
May not be the thing that
His dreams were made of

And all such crap or so I thought
Like I said I was drunk
The details were fuzzy
But the truth was clear
I didn’t know what to say
To cheer him up

A similar situation I am in
I told him so
And smiled at him
Teeth and all

He laughed at the smile
I knew so from the sound
He said I haven't seen someone
Smile and show me their teeth
In the way you just did

He got down a few miles later
I wished him luck as he did me
And a half hour later I wondered
Did that really happen
Or was that the future…

11 comments:

Macadamia The Nut said...

Ada paavi! So you really think you're not a weird zombie now? Heh! Heights of wishful thinking sir.

viswajith.k.n said...

dai dai...now u moved from the possum and stuff to zombies...machaan lets publish this stuff daa...for all we know someone mite b interested in it...:P

Filarial said...

@Mac San-- Honored to be so .. I will take that as a ombliment.. :D

@Viswajith- What do you mean "lets".. I am not bill gates- I aint no sell out..:X

:D- Its introspection for me..:)

Kaapi Prash said...

Voila! at last some decent poetry ;-) . No jokes ... I really liked you poem. I ain't kidding ... this sounds a lot like some of the more prominent contemporary India poets!!!

Viswajith said...

illa daa...nyways u need a pathetic editor rite...so let me be one mach...:P

Meghna said...

Hi Fil,
Wow! U have that really wild imagination I I loveeeee it :P

Filarial said...

@ Kaapi Prash- honored!..:)

@vishwajith- watcha mean i need a pathetic editor-- my englisg grammer is good enough to not warrant any such thing-- if ever i need a pathetic publisher I will contact u..:D

@meghna-- thanks!..:)

viswajith.k.n said...

seri...wotever pathetic it is...editor or publisher...lets chalk out a deal...:P

Filarial said...

Rightu vidu...

Unknown said...

Ah.... The classic pre moving in life Zombie feeling.... Good that ur not sober and are questioning what happened. But the good news is, you knew a lot abt the zombie even in ur DUI state. Now that counts as truth from a drunkards mouth.
Get to know him better (but don't search) and ur drive along 54 would b better later.... ;)
Onnum puriyilaya.... :D Am not drunk... Thanni adichittu paaru Fily

Filarial said...

When I get drunk - I become sober philosophical and question life ..:D

as long as you got that I was the zombie also and introspecting things ..:D