Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Winds of change..

As I left the remnants of downtown to enter boom park the sounds of vehicles died out. All I could hear was the flow of the backwaters of the Mississippi, birds chirping and a path laden with trees. Soon I came upon a place where the path split into two. On one side was an old railway bridge while the other lead to a seeming tar laden road. I was confused as to which would I take. I went a couple of steps on the rickety bridge only to turn back out of a inborn fear as to the security of finding something known. As I turned back there were two teens on their bikes. I asked them if this would lead to some kind of secure path. She just smiled at me and said “I don’t know”. It was the carefree way in which she told me the same that got me thinking.

I have feared change at a lot of levels over the past few months. With graduation looming close by the fear of finding a secure future has been haunting me. On top of that after a much anticipated India trip at the beginning of the year.. a feeling that I never expected I would feel haunted me through the first few months. Feelings of home-sickness that is. It hit me to be honest when I never expected it to. Things have changed leaps and bounds over the last six months and things are storming forward. I thought I did not want the change and could not take it any more.

As a kid my dad had a transferable job and we never stayed in the same place for more than a couple of years .I never found it difficult as such to move. It was always a new adventure to look forward to. Too make more connections and be exposed to a new environment. Never had to worry about responsibilities. Did not have to plan anything out. Those things where done by adults. Maybe that’s why I have been scared.

That’s what I thought. But then when I heard what the kid said it changed my whole perspective. I saw a hidden message.. a philosophy in it all. I see change is a constant in life and not something that’s going to “change”. I know that’s strange but that’s what I learnt. I said .. what the heck.. and ran down the rickety bridge.. carved out a way through the wilderness and reached a safe secure familiar road again. But then the excitement and rush of blood I felt only while I was on the rickety bridge trying to get to the road. Not once I reached it and ran along the familiar stretch...

2 comments:

Mambalam Mani said...

I prefer the rickety bridges and unfamiliar territories to be fleeting parts in my life rather than the main road...


waaannhhh....i want to go back to madras :(((

viswajith.k.n said...

i never thought u were capable of this kinda posts! I rather wud prefer a cocktail of both chennai and those rickety unfamiliar territories...