Monday, February 4, 2008

Ghandhigiri??

Asimov as a writer influenced my thinking at a poignant age towards the decadence of a society at the height of its progress. He taught of signs which definitely pointed towards decadence when a majority of the society where blissfully ignorant of such decadence and unwilling to change which is a sure sign of a peak of advancement as it is of a fall imminent. The scary thing is that all these signs can be seen with the Indian society that has survived generations past, of invasions and changes galore. Who would have thought that now we are looking to divide even past cast creed and religion and the anti social elements along with a scary mob culture that has developed can take control and divide as Marathi’s being different from North Indians? There have of course been similar movements in Tamil nadu since before I was born and developed in Bangalore in the past few years as well.

Three movies that I have watched in the recent past brought cohesion to my thought process on the nature of a revolution being- Charlie Wilson’s War, The Kite runner and Persepolis. They have a similar theme if you look at them as a whole. The first two talked of decadence in the Afghanistan region and the third extremely creatively of the same in Iran. They start off with the countries being on the brink of revolution where in the intelligentsia of the society meet consistently in a euphony that the revolution would bring the much needed change from a tyranny that was tying down the society. But in the wake of a bloody revolution the elements that come to power are the most tyrannical- the people as such who are willing to take blood rather than give for the revolution. And those are the elements that come to power!

That put in with some western capitalistic gain driven policies have driven the two countries into the so called dark ages. There are such stark similarities in the decadence that it pretty much scares me. The stark banality of thought process being that the state decides what women should wear, how they should behave in public and denying basic modern human rights such as education and a free thought flow process which scares the hell out of these tyrannical elements because of a basic fear of progress in the name of a vile “western” influence. These elements are not willing to adapt to a changing modern thought process on various issues that affect the society and are more involved in short term gains and a self pity rather than being a visionary for their fellow human beings.

All of this led me to see why Gandhi was such a visionary in his own time! Being born neither during the wake of pre or post independence but something like 40 years after I was exposed to two imposingly opposite thought processes on Gandhi- One being unrelenting hatred towards his policies that supposedly pushed back independence by twenty years and put the Nehru family at the forefront of policy making and the other that reveres his patience for the peaceful way always. But think about it. Would we have rather wanted a bloody revolution say in the 1920’s with the people who were willing to spill blood to be the very founders of the country? In that alone I could see what Gandhi was thinking some 50 years after independence. He was not thinking of just his generation but for generations’ way past his lifetime. He persisted with his main weapon of “Ghandhigiri” through times rough and then rougher and made sure that the anti social elements do not form the foundation of the society he envisioned. In this I am not trying to judge Bhagat Singh or Subhash Chandra Bose or their perseverance for independence. They were great men no doubt who were willing to give their lives as well for the cause. But not every Indian who followed their ideals would have been like them i.e, more willing to give their blood rather than spill blood with an emphasis on more.

Gandhi’s policies were patience driven with an emphasis on giving time for things to work out rather than be brash and look to gain on the short term. It was amazing the way he was able to mobilize and unite a country so different on so many levels and yet stick to his ideals. I was talking to a friend S along those lines and he pointed out some very poignant thoughts. Gandhi, he said, did not proclaim to be a saint who was trying to be a politician but a politician who was trying to be a saint!

It is sad that a country that was founded on such ideals now does not see much light in that. It absolutely saddens me the current state of affairs. In the last few weeks I have heard of a mob that doesn’t mind molesting women on weak pretenses, a mob motivated to violence against fellow Indians in the name of dominant regionalism, and the Tamil Nadu legislature discussing what dresses film actresses should wear! I ask a banal question in- is this what national policy makers be worried about? And how different are these thoughts from the radical thoughts that dominate the Taliban in Afghanistan or that in Iran? They are no different…

12 comments:

Macadamia The Nut said...

Have you read 'Animal farm'? Its a simple but powerful piece of literature that I can relate to, even today...

As for Ghandhi, I don't know. I read a controversial book about him when I was in school... and it's made me very critical where he's concerned. Not one of his fans :D Is that blasphemy?

Filarial said...

I have not read any Orwell but have seen a lot of his ideas being used in different forms!

I am still not sure if even I am a fan of Gandhi or not... but on seeing these films I could clearly see what was his vision for the country more so now then before...

With Gandhi now I feel there is an important question that our generation should ask ourselves- do we judge him based on facts of his moralities ( which I read as controversies..:D) or his vision for the foundation of the country- they are two distinctly seperate things that should not be mixed should it?

Mambalam Mani said...

machi u r putting top 10 movies and all
too much this is

Filarial said...

thats filarial not me..

Anonymous said...

very poignant piece of work!!! Actually even I read about gandhi which has made me bit critical abt him... but still a good piece

Filarial said...

:)

Viswajith said...

Is it Gandhigiri? or Ghandhigiri? Anyways yeah a good point made...these days governments have a lot on their plate i guess thinking abt actresses' dresses in movies.

David said...

Having written in one of my published books about the hypocrisy of Ghandhi I surprise many by not decrying many of his thoughts. My view of the man is low, of his thinking much higher.

Filarial said...

@vishwajith- pun intended..:)

@David-- "view of the man is low, of his thinking much higher." the very essence I want to spark a debate about!

Macadamia The Nut said...

And what was his vision exactly?
Did he even have one?
Wasn't the partition enough 'vision' already? :))

Sriram said...

Awesome post.

Filarial said...

@mac-

Thts kinda a rough...I am sure you do not mean tht- blaming Gandhi for the partition that is- the partition was a result of a whole nation divided into hatred because of a lot of factors that I do not understand for I did not live in that era- nowhere in history be it the perspective of people who hated or loved Gandhi- was he portrayed as a racist or one who alienated Jinnah-his actions in the whole scenario seem strongly weak minded to me too I agree - but I need a lot more information before I can make a qualified judgment on his character- but certainly I cannot perceive that as what he wanted---
I do wish you would see this movie "Persepolis" that would put why I put across this post in a clearer fashion... and my interpretation of a vision --

@DS- thnks da!